Academic appeals against universities and colleges

Making the decision to enter into third level education, whether it is to attend college or university, involves one of the most significant commitments that an individual is likely to make both financially and in terms of the time that will be required whether the course is full time or part time.

For most people this will be rewarded with one of the most positive experiences they will have, making friends that will stay with them for the rest of their lives and learning the skills or knowledge that will open up a new world of opportunities in terms of work and social experiences.

But what happens when something goes wrong and instead of the outcome that was promised, the course provider lets you down?

This could be as a result of misleading information provided prior to the commencement of the course, during the course or at the conclusion of the course.  Sadly there are occasions when discrimination takes place and an individual’s rights are breached.  Mistakes can be made, whether in the administration of courses, the assessment process of in various other aspects.

Tell us about your case

Historically there was a perception that the only means of seeking redress was through an application for judicial review which would be very costly and only available in limited circumstances.  Thankfully this myth has been dispensed with and it is very clear that colleges and universities are subject to the same rules as any other service provider.

Depending on the nature of the problem, students have recourse to either The Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA) which was established in the Higher Education Act 2004, or to the civil courts system.  Whilst these experiences are thankfully in the minority, if something does go wrong Winston Solicitors can support you and provide the expertise you need to put things right.

Further information

Speak to our academic appeal expert, in confidence on 0113 320 5000.

Or email us directly on:

Inheritance tax changes

The recent Budget saw the Chancellor announce reforms to Inheritance Tax rules which were widely expected following the Conservative Party’s General Election victory.  Currently, a married couple are able to access allowances of £325,000 each, which can be doubled up and applied as a single allow

Grandmother with Grandchild

The Prime Minister David Cameron has recently suggested that he would be “happy” to look at plans for so called “granny leave” giving working grandparents the right to take up to 18 weeks of shared paren

Divorce and new tax developments

Transfers of property between separating couples should take place in the tax year of separation to avoid