COVID-19 Business Update - Click for more

Criminal injury and the police

The police play a very important role in claims for compensation under the CICA scheme

Police Report

The first thing the CICA do when investigating a claim for criminal injury is to request the police report. They use it to initially consider whether a victim is eligible for claming CICA compensation. Depending on what it contains often makes the difference between a successful claim and a rejected claim.

Tips on how best to make sure the police report helps your claim

Always cooperate with the police. The CICA actually ask the police if you have cooperated, and it is amazing how many times I have seen the police say no the victim hasn’t. The victim might not have provided a full statement, because after initial contact with the police, it was never possible to arrange a meeting to give a statement. The CICA believe it is the victim’s responsibility to provide a full statement, so even if it’s the police’s fault, the CICA will reject a claim where a full statement is not taken.

I am reluctant to cooperate with the police

There are genuine reasons for feeling like this. You may be too busy at work and anyway, you didn’t see anything so why do I need to give a full statement? Or you may feel scared to give a statement. Or you may wish to withdraw your statement. In all these situations the CICA will say you have not cooperated and will reject your claim.

I have helped a number of victims get their claims back on track, providing them with guidance on what to do, if I realise their claim is going to be rejected when I first check to see if they are eligible.

Does it matter if the police prosecute?

It depends. In sexual assault cases where there are no other witnesses, the CICA often reject claims if the police do not prosecute (it’s actually the Crown Prosecution Service who decide). So providing as much information to the police gives you the best change of a prosecution and therefore you having a successful claim.

You do not need a conviction, just a prosecution.

Is a police prosecution always required?

There are occasions when a prosecution is not required. You are stabbed and the person runs off never to be found. It’s clear you are the victim of a crime, so even though there is no prosecution the CICA will not reject your claim. Or you are the victim of historic sexual abuse and your abuser is now dead. The police will not prosecute, but providing there is sufficient evidence to show that you have been abused, the CICA are likely to pay you compensation.

Should I speak to a Solicitor?

It is so important to get the right advice before making a claim. Don’t just submit a claim and expect the CICA to help you. They don’t, as their ‘Victim’s compensation fund’ is too small to compensate all victims so they use their rules to reject claims whenever they can, so making the fund ‘go further’. I have heard so often from people who have submitted without advice ‘I did not know’ when their claim is rejected and they now seek help. It’s much harder to rectify a mistake once a claim is rejected than to deal with the problem before the claim is submitted.

Please call me on 0113 320 5000 or email me on I always provide an initial assessment of your case at no charge.

Latest Blog

Personal injury claims during COVID-19

Personal injury claims during COVID-19
As life seems to stop for many across the country, there are parts of life where business must continue as usual, or as close to usual as possible. With regards to law and personal injury claims,...
Reintroduction of employment tribunal fees?

In a surprising announcement, the Ministry of Justice (MOJ) has confirmed that it may reintroduce fees for employment tribunal claims.  This would be a surprising U-turn by the government which was criticised for its tribunal fee structure which was introduced in 2013.  The fee structure was decl

Inheritance tax changes

The recent Budget saw the Chancellor announce reforms to Inheritance Tax rules which were widely expected following the Conservative Party’s General Election victory.  Currently, a married couple are able to access allowances of £325,000 each, which can be doubled up and applied as a single allow

Grandmother with Grandchild

The Prime Minister David Cameron has recently suggested that he would be “happy” to look at plans for so called “granny leave” giving working grandparents the right to take up to 18 weeks of shared paren