COVID-19 Business Update - Click for more

Domestic abuse whilst in coronavirus lockdown

Are you suffering from domestic abuse?

The lockdown due to Coronavirus means many people are being placed together for long periods of time in very stressful situations. Sometimes family arguments cross the line, unfortunately becoming domestic abuse. If you are suffering from domestic abuse, you should contact the police. Tell them what is happening, and let them guide you as to how best to put you out of harm’s way. Refuges are open even in this lockdown period, and whilst it is more difficult at the moment than normal, it is still possible to obtain the support you need.

Is domestic abuse a crime?

Yes it is. A report should be made to the police – this can be by telephone, and a statement will be obtained. The police have a duty to investigate, and where appropriate they will refer the matter to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) who will decide whether or not to charge your abuser.

Are you entitled to compensation if you suffer from domestic abuse?

You are entitled to compensation. The best compensation is through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme, and that is the compensation Winston Solicitors specialises in. The benefit of this scheme, is that the Government pay the compensation, rather than the abuser, who often does not have the money to pay.

What type of abuse is covered by the scheme?

There are three types, physical abuse, psychological abuse and sexual abuse. The CICA rules set out what types of injuries you can claim for, and what medical evidence is required. Generally, physical abuse needs to leave a permanent mark, so bruising does not receive compensation, but permanent scarring does. Psychological injury requires medical intervention, and often a report by a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist. Sexual abuse, relies usually on police evidence, and if there is sufficient evidence to prove a sexual assault occurred, no additional medical evidence is required.

How does Winston Solicitors help victims of abuse?

Especially during this Coronavirus lockdown, you need experienced solicitors to quickly and compassionately assess your compensation claim. Please call 0113 320 5000, email, or complete one of our contact forms, so we can assess your likelihood of compensation, explain the timescales involved and the approximate level of compensation we expect you could receive. If we act for you, we will do it on a ‘no win no fee’ basis, which means you only pay legal costs if you are successful. 

Do I need to know anything else?

It is usually better to bring a claim as soon as the incident has happened and been reported to the police. The CICA scheme allows 2 years, and will in certain circumstances allow claims about incidents that happened longer than this. We have a good record in bringing claims out of time, so do contact us even it if is more than 2 years. If we can help, we will.

Latest Blog

Self-isolating during COVID-19 is not all 'Netflix and chill'

Rise in domestic violence during COVID-19 pandemic
We find ourselves in strange times; for some, the government’s 'stay at home' message is an enforced period of reading and relaxing but for suffers of domestic violence and those at...
Reintroduction of employment tribunal fees?

In a surprising announcement, the Ministry of Justice (MOJ) has confirmed that it may reintroduce fees for employment tribunal claims.  This would be a surprising U-turn by the government which was criticised for its tribunal fee structure which was introduced in 2013.  The fee structure was decl

Inheritance tax changes

The recent Budget saw the Chancellor announce reforms to Inheritance Tax rules which were widely expected following the Conservative Party’s General Election victory.  Currently, a married couple are able to access allowances of £325,000 each, which can be doubled up and applied as a single allow

Grandmother with Grandchild

The Prime Minister David Cameron has recently suggested that he would be “happy” to look at plans for so called “granny leave” giving working grandparents the right to take up to 18 weeks of shared paren