Professional negligence

Although most professionals are, as their name suggests, “professional”, from time to time things go wrong, and unfortunately, when this happens the consequences can be serious, whether the professional be a solicitor, an accountant, a surveyor, or an architect (to name but a few). You may have a claim for compensation for the losses you have suffered as a result of professional negligence, but you will probably need specialist assistance, because such claims can be complicated.


To succeed in a professional negligence claim you will have to prove three things:

  1. That the professional owed you a duty of care to provide the service in question with reasonable skill and diligence

  2. That the professional has breached that duty

  3. That the breach of duty has caused you financial loss

Principles of law

These principles apply to all professional negligence claims. The remedy provided by the law is to put you (so far as possible) financially in the position you would have been in had the professional acted with reasonable skill and diligence.

Further information

To speak to a member of our business team, in confidence call 0113 320 5000.

Or email us directly on:

Latest Blog

Creating a mutually beneficial Settlement Agreement

When an employer wishes to terminate a contract with an employee they may offer a Settlement Agreement. Employment ends for a variety of reasons, including disputes, disciplinary proceedings or...
Inheritance tax changes

The recent Budget saw the Chancellor announce reforms to Inheritance Tax rules which were widely expected following the Conservative Party’s General Election victory.  Currently, a married couple are able to access allowances of £325,000 each, which can be doubled up and applied as a single allow

Grandmother with Grandchild

The Prime Minister David Cameron has recently suggested that he would be “happy” to look at plans for so called “granny leave” giving working grandparents the right to take up to 18 weeks of shared paren

Divorce and new tax developments

Transfers of property between separating couples should take place in the tax year of separation to avoid capital gains tax becoming payable on such transfers. Talk to our Leeds Accountants if in doubt.