COVID-19 Update - Click for more

Personal Injury

Personal injury claims service in Leeds - no win no fee

We help with a personal injury claim following a road traffic accident, an accident at work or a  trip or slip in a public place.

We  offer No win No fee arrangements.

Whether you are based locally here in Leeds, Yorkshire or elsewhere in England and Wales we would be happy to help with legal advice on your case.

Get in touch today with our very experienced friendly team, for an informal discussion about your claim. Call 0113 320 5000 or email

How is your UK personal injury valued?

There are two parts to a claim:

  1. The first is compensation for the personal injury, known as General Damages.
  2. The second is compensation for your financial losses, know as Special Damages.

General damages

When considering general damages for personal injury, each claim needs to be judged on its own merits.

There are a number of factors which will usually be taken into account when assessing this aspect of your claim.

These include, amongst others, the nature and severity of your injury and consequent symptoms. Your age, your occupation and the extent to which your injury interferes with that occupation. Your leisure activities and finally, your domestic responsibilities are also taken into account.

Sometimes, compensation can be awarded for "handicap on the open labour market". This situation will apply where the accident victim is able to remain at work despite their personal injury, but their employment is less secure than before.

In order to succeed under this head of damages, it has to be shown that if the person were to be dismissed from their job, they would have difficulty in getting alternative employment.

Special damages

If your accident has caused you to take time off work, then you will probably have suffered a loss of earnings. This is normally calculated by taking the average of your wages over a 13 week period prior to your accident.

If your injury is serious enough to make you leave your job, then a claim can be made for your future loss of earnings. This claim comprises the earnings that you would have achieved, but for your accident.

In some cases, your personal injury may have caused a disability that prevents you from performing various tasks about the house, for example decorating, gardening, housework or car maintenance. If you have had to get family or friends to carry out these tasks for you, then a claim can be made in respect of their time incurred. The basis for this part of your claim is that if such individuals were not available, then such assistance would need to be provided by the state.

A personal injury claim can also be made for your miscellaneous losses and expenses incurred. If you have needed to make visits to your hospital or GP for treatment, then your travel expenses can be included in your compensation claim. In some cases your clothing may have been damaged in the accident and therefore the replacement costs are also included in your claim.

CRU repayments

If you have been receiving money from the state as a result of your absence from work, then at the end of the case some of this will have to be refunded to the Compensation Recovery Unit. This unit is managed by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

The purpose of this is to prevent 'double recovery'. If you have received compensation for your loss of earnings, as well as employment benefits, unless the benefit was repaid you would have actually received more money than your normal earnings.

Best Personal Injury Solicitors in Leeds, UK voted by Three Best Rated

Latest Blog

Personal injury claims during COVID-19

Personal injury claims during COVID-19
As life seems to stop for many across the country, there are parts of life where business must continue as usual, or as close to usual as possible. With regards to law and personal injury claims,...
Reintroduction of employment tribunal fees?

In a surprising announcement, the Ministry of Justice (MOJ) has confirmed that it may reintroduce fees for employment tribunal claims.  This would be a surprising U-turn by the government which was criticised for its tribunal fee structure which was introduced in 2013.  The fee structure was decl

Inheritance tax changes

The recent Budget saw the Chancellor announce reforms to Inheritance Tax rules which were widely expected following the Conservative Party’s General Election victory.  Currently, a married couple are able to access allowances of £325,000 each, which can be doubled up and applied as a single allow

Grandmother with Grandchild

The Prime Minister David Cameron has recently suggested that he would be “happy” to look at plans for so called “granny leave” giving working grandparents the right to take up to 18 weeks of shared paren