Historical Institutional Abuse (HIA) Redress Board - Learn About the Scheme Skip to main content
Stacey Flegg

Meet Stacey

Stacey Flegg is our HIA Redress Scheme expert

Stacey and others were nothing but kind and helpful - and I truly appreciate their help and support.

Contact Stacey today

4.93 out of 5

2,714 Reviews
Scroll down

Access comprehensive support and expert advice for Historical Institutional Abuse claims in the UK with the HIA Redress Board. Find out how to apply, understand your rights, and get the compensation you deserve. Start your journey towards healing and justice today.

What is the HIA Redress Board?

The Historical Institutional Abuse (HIA) Redress Board was established on 31st March 2020. It’s purpose? A scheme created to acknowledge the historical abuse suffered by many in various residential institutions throughout Northern Ireland.

Act now!

The HIA Redress Board will cease to receive applications after 2nd April 2025 – therefore the time to make your claim is sooner, rather than later.

Who is eligible?

The scheme is available to those who suffered abuse as a child, whilst resident at an institution within Northern Ireland between 1922 and 1995.

The scheme also covers those children who were sent to Australia under the Child Migrant Programme.

The scheme is also available on behalf of those who were resident between the above dates but are since deceased. You may be able to make a claim on their behalf if they died after 28th April 1953 and you are a spouse, civil partner or child of the deceased.

In order to claim, you must be able to name the institution in which you stayed; you must also provide a statement for your case. We will assist you with the drafting of the statement to ensure the best prospects for your claim.

How does the scheme work?

Our dedicated team of litigation executives will draft a statement of case as well as submit a formal application the board on your behalf. Your case is then considered by a three-person panel, consisting of a judicial member, and two non-judicial members from a social and healthcare background. Most cases will be heard on paper, however in exceptional cases you may be required to attend an oral hearing, in which case we would represent you.

The scheme itself includes a tariff of compensation awards, which will be determined by the severity of the abuse you suffered whilst resident at the institution.

How much could I claim?

The Scheme has a set tariff of awards, ranging from £10,000 to £80,000.

There are three types of payment available under the scheme:

  1. A standard award payment – in the sum of £10,000.00
  2. An enhanced award payment – between £10,000.01 and £80,000.00
  3. An award under the Child Migrant Programme to Australia - £20,000.00

Can I make more than one claim?

The simple answer is “no” – However, in your statement of case we can detail more than one institution if this applies to you. The entirety of the abuse you suffered will then be considered under one application.

How long will it take?

The time scales for applications can vary; the board will consider the age and health of an applicant and can prioritise the consideration of an application on this basis.

The complexities of a case and the availability of records will also play a part in the time it takes to settle a claim, however the board has an internal guidance time scale of 16 weeks. At Winston Solicitors we have received compensation from the board in as little as 6 weeks from the date of the application.

Why should I use Winston Solicitors?

Our team of experts will ensure that the application is completed accurately to ensure the best prospects of success.

Incomplete applications can be rejected by the board, specifically if the Statement of Case does not cover all of the information the board requires.

We will assist you ever step of the way to ensure that your claim is handled sensitively and with compassion. Our dedicated team will be on hand to ease any concerns or answer any questions you may have.

Our direct contact with the HIA Redress Board means you will be kept informed at all stages of your application and we will ensure the relevant information required to determine your case is obtained in a timely manner.

How much do you charge?

Winston Solicitors work on a No win No Fee basis for this type of legal work. This means you only pay our costs if your claim is successful.

Our fee is the equivalent of 25% + VAT of the compensation awarded to you by the Board.

How do I claim?

You can call our dedicated abuse specialist Stacey Flegg on 0113 320 5000 or email @email.

Stacey will then be in touch with you to discuss the circumstances of your case and advise of the next steps.

All initial advice is free of charge.

Alternatively, please use our contact form.